My internet went down for a few days recently. I needed to find a way to work on some WordPress projects locally without internet connection. Here’s how I did it.
- Download and install MAMP from here www.mamp.info and WordPress from here wordpress.org
- On your Hard Drive Go to /Applications/MAMP/htdocs and unpack the WordPress.zip folder in here
- Go to /Applications/MAMP and Install the dashboard widget by clicking on MAMP
- On the Mac widget you just installed click on the button that reads ‘Open start page’ which will take you to http://localhost:8888/MAMP/
- On this page find the line: The MySQL Database can be administrated with phpMyAdmin – click on this link
- Create a new database and call it ‘test-site-1′ for example
- On your hard drive find /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/test-site-1/wp-config-sample.php and rename it wp-config.php
- Open this wp-config.php file and change the settings to:
- Go to http://localhost:8888/wordpress/
- You’ll be prompted to enter the details of your WordPress site
Hey presto. You’re all set up to work on a local WordPress install.